Boston, MA

Burnham Building

Market Sectors
Owner/Developer
Millennium Partners
Architect
Handel Architects

The Burnham Building, originally opened in 1912 as the last and only building in Boston designed by renowned architect Daniel Burnham (known for the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in Chicago), was designed to serve as Filene’s flagship Department Store. With intricate Beaux Arts details throughout, the building was meticulously restored and repositioned to accommodate office use in addition to keeping with its retail roots. McSal’s scope of work included restoration to the exterior façade including reproduction of historic canopies, a reimagined roof level skylight, and a new core to service the office tenants. All new mechanical systems were introduced including a new mechanical penthouse.

Enhancements were made to the existing steel framed lateral system and the flat arch terracotta slab system to accommodate parking in the basement levels.  New escalators were introduced to serve both the retail and the new below-grade grocer. Careful coordination was also required to introduce a new elevator to improve accessibility to the MBTA Red and Orange Line concourses which the building interfaces with on two façades below-grade. Old photographs and drawings were studied and compared to the original construction to replicate details. The Burnham Building consists of 127,000 SF of office space and 142,000 SF of retail space.

Award of Excellence (2016) Boston Preservation Alliance